The Student News Site of Springside Chestnut Hill Academy

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

Jaime Neris ‘24 brings Puerto Rican pride to the field

Jaime Neris at a baseball clinic in which he is taking live batting practice from a coach.

SCH senior Jaime Neris ties his Puerto Rican culture into his passion for the sport of baseball. Jaime grew up speaking Spanish and has translated his culture into his love for the game.

His family descended from Puerto Rico. Jaime’s father moved over to the United States when he was twelve years old, and his mom was born here.

“My mother was the first generation of her family to arrive here. I grew up in a tiny home in North Philadelphia, only learning Spanish. So when I arrived at my English speaking-only Catholic School, the transition was hard,” said Jaime.

Jaime commented on his Puerto Rican culture mixed into his passion for baseball: “If it wasn’t for my Spanish culture, I probably wouldn’t be playing baseball … My cousin actually went to the Dominican Republic and played baseball down there. So, hearing his stories inspired me to play and he has taken me under his wing. So, I’m thankful for him.”

Walk up songs in baseball are a huge way to get your adrenaline pumping before your at-bat. Jaime has a unique song. He stated, “Last year my walk-up song was ‘Los Illuminati’ … I actually pride myself on my Spanish walk-up songs just because I know I am one of few Spanish baseball players in the Inter-Ac.”

Senior two-time captain of the baseball team Ha’oa Bode and his family moved to Pennsylvania from Hawaii when Ha’oa was eleven. Ha’oa understands what it feels like to have a second culture. When asked about Jaime’s Latino culture and how he includes it in his passion for baseball, Ha’oa said, “Well it definitely gives him a foundation to lean on, it gives him his Ohana. His culture and brothers who have his back on and off the field. If that doesn’t work out, he can always fall back on his own culture and his own strength.”

Rory Finn, another captain of the SCH baseball team, commented on Jaime’s pride: “He takes a lot of pride in who he is, as a man of Puerto Rican culture. You can definitely see in his style of how he plays, like his glove is all the colors of the Puerto Rican flag.” Rory also commented on his unique walk-up songs: “His walk up song choices are definitely another sign of how he leans on his culture to give him confidence.”

Jaime’s love of Puerto Rican culture is present off the field, too. Jaime is one of the co-leaders of the Mi Gente club.

In all of the activities he participates in, Jaime focuses on spreading his love of his Latino heritage through the school.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Campus Lantern

Your donation will support the student journalists of Springside Chestnut Hill Academy. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.