Student body elects Taylor Foley and Matt McTamney

As the 2023-24 school year comes to a close and the seniors leave, the excitement of new leadership looms. On May 6th, four sets of rising seniors ran to become the new Student Body Co-Presidents. All of SCH flocked to the Kinsley that morning to hear their speeches. After about thirty minutes of personal accomplishments and future promises, the ballot was sent out and the voters had the election in their hands.
The results came back that afternoon, and supporters of Matt McTamney and Taylor Foley rejoiced when they were named 2024-25 Student Body Co-Presidents. When you dig deeper into their campaign it’s easy to see why they were so popular.
Matt was the Junior Class President this past school year, and this allowed him to spend a year building his case as to why he should represent the student body. His accomplishments while working with the class reps. like renovating the Junior Commons and hosting a junior class advisory basketball tournament were widely popular and showed his capability to take charge and make a change. The senior and freshman classes have replicated the class tournament idea. When asked about her time working with Matt last year, class rep. Avi Oliver ‘25 mentioned him as a “dedicated hard worker.”
Taylor has leadership experience as a captain of her sports teams in middle school and student council. She also gained second-hand experience as president when she watched her older sister Caroline take the reigns in the 22-23 school year when Taylor was a sophomore. However, she has her own ideas for the future of SCH. In her speech, Taylor describes herself as “easy to talk to” and that she is open to any ideas from the student body. She also touches on her love for public speaking, even though it “terrifies her,” which is a vital part of leadership and strengthens SCH’s confidence in her as a Co-President.
Even the other candidates are excited to see what the future holds. Brendan Russell ‘25, when asked how confident he was in Taylor and Matt’s abilities stated, “If the student body thinks they can do it, I don’t see a reason why they can’t.”