The Student News Site of Springside Chestnut Hill Academy

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

On the beat with Eliot Villasis

julien
Eliot Villasis

You may have heard of Eliot Vilassis, the artistic eleventh grader who is an SCH lifer. Villasis began singing at age six and his artistic talents span the gamut from comic book design to illustration. He is a member of SCH’s Hilltones, but you probably know him for his beatboxing. How did he start beatboxing? How good is he really? What inspires him? It’s time to to finally discover the origin of Villasis’s love for beatboxing.

One day, Villasis was scrolling through Youtube when he discovered a channel with the name “Verbalase.” Verbalase is a channel completely dedicated to beatboxing. Villasis was hooked instantly.

“It really fascinated me how the artist was able to make those sounds with his mouth. It’s what sparked my passion and interest for beatboxing,” Villasis said.

With his curiosity piqued, Villasis realized his craft through YouTube videos. “It took me about one month to learn the basics, you know, the boots and cats. About three months in, I learned how to make some water drop noises” (It doesn’t translate well through words, but I was thoroughly impressed).

As he pursued more traditional songs in Hilltones while pursuing beatboxing on the side, he searched for a way to combine the two. One day in Hilltones, it finally happened. His two musical worlds collided.

“There was this number called “Roll To Me,” and I felt that beatboxing would’ve elevated it a lot. So I just sort of started beatboxing, and it took off,” said Villasis. “I think I add some seasoning to the already great songs we do in Hilltones”.

A fellow member of Hilltones, Dylan Kaplan, called Villasis “the best beatboxer in the school, no doubt.” Kaplan believes “Villasis brings a unique quality to Hilltones that no one else can replicate.” Villasis displayed some of his beatboxing skills at Cabaret, on October 20th.

Villasis also feels strongly about the existence of beatboxing as an artistic venture. “Of course it’s an art! It takes creativity to develop certain patterns and beats. It’s an art.” He would know.

When asked about some icons in the beatboxing community, Villasis mentioned a guru named D-Low. D-Low is a world beatboxing champion and legendary master. “One day, I want to get close to his level,” said Villasis. “Not sure if I’ll ever be that good though,” he laughed.

“There’s about 32 different types of bass sounds. I know six. I’d like to think I’ve come far, but I still have a lot to learn.” Villasis said that the hardest sound for him to learn was bass. “My voice is way too high for it, so I’m super inconsistent with the sound.”

Villasis is determined, however, to conquer all of the bass parts. “I’ll get there one day,” he laughed.