The Student News Site of Springside Chestnut Hill Academy

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

How to: Amazon Bars

Are you looking for something new to make for your family during the holidays? Do you want to create something that’s warm, crispy yet gooey, simple to make, and that, with one bite, can change your whole life? 

Well, since you said yes to all of those statements, I have just the recipe for you. Drumroll please. Amazon bars. The bars that are made with love, passion, and with fun. The recipe for this dessert has been passed down from my mother’s older cousin, Aunty Chass, to my mother and now to me. This treat can’t get any simpler. You don’t have to use an electrical hand mixer, you don’t have to wait for it to rise like yeast in bread, you don’t have to do anything extraneous. That’s what makes Amazon bars so special. You can make them in about 10-12 minutes, pop them in the oven for about 25 minutes, and they are ready to consume. Now, the moment you all have been waiting for, the Amazon Bars’ recipe. 

Ingredients

• A pack of graham crackers  
  • 14 ounces of sweet condensed milk 
  • Sliced almonds 
  • A stick of butter 
  • Chocolate chips 
  • Shredded sweet coconut 

Tools: 

• 9×13 flat pan 
  • A bowl to melt the butter 
  • Ziploc for the graham crackers
  • A pin roller to crush the graham crackers 
  • Fork to pat down the ingredients 
  • Can opener 

Method: 

1. Preheat oven to 350˚ F 
  2. Melt a stick of butter
  3. Put one pack of graham crackers in a freezer ziploc, cover it with a towel, then with any heavy object in the kitchen, crush until powder-like 
  4. Place the melted butter in the 9×13 flat pan (move the pan around so it covers the whole pan)
  5. Spread crushed graham crackers evenly over the melted butter in the pan, using a fork to pat down the crushed graham crackers into the butter
  6. Pour sweet condensed milk evenly over the crushed graham crackers
  7. If needed, pick up the pan to move the sweetened condensed milk around for an even spread 
  8. Spread chocolate chips evenly over the pan,  then the shredded coconut, then the sliced almonds.
  9. Repeat steps 10-12 one more time 
  10. Once all layers have been completed, pat down the layers with a fork so there is no space in between the layers. Place the pan into the oven for about 25-30 minutes. 
  11. Once the top is golden brown, it is done baking. Take the pan out and let it cool down for about 15 minutes. Enjoy!

You don’t want to eat the dessert before it has cooled because it will still be gooey and it will fall apart if you try to cut a piece because it’s still hot. You can also drink a glass of iced cold milk to compliment the Amazon bars! I hope you enjoyed this recipe of my mother. Aloha!