Russia/Ukraine conflict persists, even though it’s fallen from forefront

President Volodymyr Zelensky desires a faster delivery of more arms. The US is scurrying to send missiles to Ukraine, and China is now helping Russia in their attack on Ukraine. Here are some of the most recent major events in the Russia vs Ukraine war.

President Vladimir Putin has been re-elected for the sixth time as president of Russia. He has now been the president for 24 years and he is just at the beginning of another six year term.

President Volodymyr Zelensky’s Ukraine falls short in size to Russia and in the amount of weapons they have. Ukraine has now lost most of their air defenses and other countries can’t keep up with the demand. Without any air defenses Ukraine will fall very quickly because of Russia’s new fifth generation fighter the SU-57. However, if the US were to get involved, the F-22 and F-35 we would send are believed to be more dominant than the SU-57 and there are a lot more of them.

Due to this weapons shortage the front line of Ukraine is getting weaker, although the weather is warming up now so the advantage Russia had during the cold months is fading away. Russia is still a strong, powerful and adaptable force, and now that China is joining in on the fighting their warm weather training will help.

With so much else going on in the world, this conflict might not really be at the forefront of people’s minds. One ninth grader said the last time she heard about it was “over a year ago. It’s not really talked about anymore, as the focus has shifted to Israel and Palestine, but even that isn’t discussed a lot.” However, another student, who wished to remain anonymous, said he discussed the conflict “A couple days ago in history class. Sometimes our teacher shows us current events going on in the world and that was the topic that she showed us.”

Students had various opinions on whether or not other countries should supply Russia and Ukraine with weapons. One student said, “I think they should, but I understand why they’re not because we would go into another nuclear war that would kill millions and not end well,” and another one had a different view. He said, “If they feel like they put too much resources into that they might be pulled into that which would lead to bigger things … but Ukraine is at a disadvantage so I feel like if there wasn’t supply at all it would be bad, so I guess they should.”