The Student News Site of Springside Chestnut Hill Academy

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

“You’re Gonna Go Far” is a reminder that it’s okay to leave

Noah Kahan, Brandi Carlisle: “You’re Gonna Go Far” (Official Lyric Video). Noah Kahan Stick Season: Videos. https://noahkahan.com
The cover released with the new edition of ”You’re Gonna Go Far.” Noah Kahan, Brandi Carlisle: “You’re Gonna Go Far” (Official Lyric Video). Noah Kahan Stick Season: Videos. https://noahkahan.com

Have you ever listened to a song and thought, “this song says exactly how I feel?” Are you a senior in highschool preparing to leave for college this fall? Well then you might love the song “You’re Gonna Go Far” by artist Noah Kahan.

In 2022, Kahan released “You’re Gonna Go Far” on his album Stick Season. The album itself is about Kahan’s journey of feeling at home in terms of identity, relationships, and physical location.

On February 9th, 2024 Kahan re-released “You’re Gonna Go Far” with special guest-artist Brandi Carlile. A lot of us may wonder, why re-release an already well-loved and highly successful song? Kahan has a unique Guitarist, Bowie and Lennon collaborator, visits SCH Finn Cooper ‘26 answer. Re-releasing music gives listeners another chance to understand the song and what it means to them.

In the song Kahan tells a story about parting ways with the love of your life while also simultaneously understanding that they are going off into the world to do great things.

So pack up your car, put a hand to your heart, say whatever you feel, be wherever you are. We ain’t angry at you love, you’re the greatest thing we’ve lost. The birds will still sing, your folks will still fight, the boards will still creak, the leaves will still die. We ain’t angry at you love. We’ll be waiting for you love… you’re gonna go far.

The only time I got to prayin’ for a red light was when I saw your destination …

Kahan describes driving his loved one to the bus station, all while praying for a red light to slow down time, thus prolonging their final goodbye. As listeners, the story Kahan tells about this moment in his life feels familiar. Most of us know what it feels like to drive someone to the bus or train station while hanging on to every moment of time, every word from their mouths, every ounce of connection we have left with them.

Kahan sings about watching someone leave and giving them the permission to do so, yet he also sings directly to the person who is leaving. In his lyrics, Kahan affirms that no matter how far this person strays, he will always be there for them.

Brandi Carlile’s voice gives the song an ethereal harmony that elevates both its lyrics and meaning. Throughout the song, Carlile and Kahan weave in and out of sync with each other: sometimes they are in perfect harmony, and other times a clear differentiation of voice and sound is obvious.

“You’re Gonna Go Far” is an important song for seniors as we graduate SCH and head off to colleges around the country. It’s a reminder that leaving home is hard. It can feel intimidating and exciting at the same time. The idea of leaving everyone who has loved and supported us for the last eighteen years is terrifying. Yet “You’re Gonna Go Far” is a reminder that no matter how far we go, the people who love us will always be there.