The Student News Site of Springside Chestnut Hill Academy

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

Go see the new Bob Marley movie

Whether or not you are a fan of Bob Marley, I recommend this movie as it captures not just Bob Marley’s music, but his culture, life, and struggles along the way.

The movie follows Marley’s life during a time when there was a lot of political violence and tension in Jamaica — so much that the artist actually had to leave the country for some time for his own safety and the safety of his family.

When making the movie, Marley’s son Ziggy Marley made sure that everything being portrayed was authentic, and this can be seen throughout the entire movie. It definitely feels authentic and real, showing not just Marley’s huge crowds and triumphs but also the difficult and complicated parts of his life, like being a father and husband while dealing with lots of pressure and violent threats. It really gives a detailed look into what he was going through and how he persevered in a time of such violence, even after he was shot in his own home.

Another great thing the movie does is portray the great spirit of Jamaica. Even through times of immense tension and violence, the vibrant culture, beautiful scenery, and strong spirit of the country, and how Bob Marley brought people together during a time of division, comes through. The movie is filled with Marley’s messages of unity, peace, and love, and it is captured in his music throughout the film.

The acting is another strong part of the movie, making it really feel like Bob Marley was playing himself. This is especially prevalent during the concert scenes which feel very authentic and like you are actually watching a Bob Marley concert the way he dances and performs on stage and the huge vibrant crowds.

Overall, I think this is a must-watch film as it portrays a remarkable story of one of the most famous artists of all time in such an authentic and powerful way, while delivering messages of peace, love and unity.