The Student News Site of Springside Chestnut Hill Academy

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

The Campus Lantern

How the Blue Devils football team plans to expand on last year’s success

SCH senior, Tyler Roberts runs for a touchdown with the football team.

After an outstanding season, determining the right next steps to repeat your success is challenging for any team, but especially for one that made a leap as large as the SCH Blue Devils did in 2023. From being shut out of Inter-Ac play in 2022 to playing league-leading Malvern close to close out, with the 2023 season 8-2, the Devils truly made the type of leap that most collegiate or NFL teams only dream of achieving. However, having a stellar season last year does not promise the team will dominate this year. So with the goal of an elusive Inter-Ac championship looming in the distance and the standard of excellence now set, the Devils look to 2024, ready for the challenge.

A good team knows the next season begins as soon as the previous one ends, which is why the Blue Devils have already begun putting in work during this offseason. Coach Rick Knox doesn’t want the team to get comfortable with their prior successes, stating they need to consider the lessons learned last year as “motivation to press forward.” Knox also recognizes the team is losing key talent from their impactful, senior class, including all three captains in DE/TE Danny Reagan, QB Tommy Markey, and WR/S Tyler Roberts. When asked how these leadership positions will be filled, Coach Knox called their leadership “irreplaceable,” but said that, despite graduating major talent on both offense and defense, he’s looking forward to seeing other Blue Devil team members “step up to fill those shoes.” With spring pre-season upon us, here are three players to watch for in the 2024 Blue Devil Football season:

Junior RB/CB Finn Whittle: After recording stellar performances during the absence of Senior RB and Georgetown-commit Jayden “Jaydot” Sumpter, Whittle is expected to emerge as the Blue Devils starting running back. Though Whittle played through injury in 2023, the breakout star also amassed 200+ yards in several games this year while also being one of the Devil’s key cornerbacks. Looking toward 2024, it will be interesting to see how Whittle’s role on defense evolves as his offensive responsibilities inevitably grow.

WR/S Aaron Clark: Another player to keep your eyes on this upcoming season is sophomore WR/S Aaron Clark, who Coach Knox said the team saw “a lot of potential from” this past season. Clark, like Whittle, had an outstanding 2023 on both sides of the football, emerging as a true force to be reckoned with after consistently putting up monster numbers alongside mind-blowing catches that the sophomore amazingly made look routine. Unfortunately, Clark’s season was shortened due to injury that kept the powerful player on the bench for several games. Nevertheless, Clark appears to have remained committed to pushing forward and maintaining his momentum from last season. With WR Elio Colivita and WR/S Tyler Roberts both graduating this spring, Knox and his coaching staff will likely make Clark an essential target for the Blue Devils’ offense and a key enforcer on the defensive side of the ball.

The Offensive Line: The final player, or should I say position group, to focus on next year is the offensive line. The Blue Devils had one of the most talented offensive lines in the InterAc in 2023, sporting two All Inter-Ac lineman in Juniors OL Grayson Scott and OL Matt McTamney. Sophomore OL Kyle Cameron looks ready to make his presence known, as well, and will be poised to step into a larger role for the team. Last season, the SCH offense thrived behind their line, which will unfortunately be graduating two incredible players in Aidan McCann and Mitch Karp. While it will be key to see how SCH handles the position vacancies, the squad has plenty of lineman with the strength, technique, and experience to fill those gaps. Be prepared for this line’s experience and comradery to make for a unit that fights hard and works together with the goal of providing the needed spark to propel the Devils to a league title.

In addition to the players and positions featured here, the Blue Devils are fortunate to have many more notable contributors ready to make an impact in 2024. SCH football faithfuls can take comfort in knowing there isn’t a single player on this team who wants to settle for second place again, so plan for the Devils to keep pushing to capture their first Inter-Ac title in fifteen years.

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Campus Lantern

Your donation will support the student journalists of Springside Chestnut Hill Academy. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.