Dear SCH,

Dear SCH, 

The final online edition of the year is upon us, but don’t worry— The Campus Lantern is not going anywhere. 

The Lantern is too big, too bright to turn off now. Sixty-three upper schoolers were published in our newspaper this year, coming from all four classes and all corners of our community! 

As you would expect, students who love writing have found a home with the newspaper, but so have the kids who do Players, the ones who build robots, who hit baseballs, take pictures, draw cartoons. So have the kids who never thought they’d write one more word than they were required to. The Campus Lantern connects us all. 

By giving students a voice we have enriched the discourse of our upper school. We’ve produced six online editions and two print editions, and we are cultivating an Instagram presence – @schcampuslantern – to fill the void and increase readership between issues.  

Next fall, The Campus Lantern will be off to a running start. Twenty-three juniors and seniors are enrolled in the Journalism elective, each of whom is excited to be a staff writer for The Campus Lantern

That is the class side of The Campus Lantern, but the club aspect, too, is primed for growth in the coming year. All current SCH eighth graders were introduced to journalism through a new CEL course on digital publishing, and their teacher Ms. Julie Knutson, has given them a head start to making an impact in our program. I had the pleasure of visiting these classes each trimester and every time I was so impressed with the quality of the middle schoolers’ work. I can’t wait to see what they will accomplish as members and future leaders of The Lantern

There are so many good things to come for the creators and readers of The Campus Lantern. Please know that your support is always appreciated, and your participation is always welcome. Thank you all.

Sincerely, 

Griffy Whitman ‘25

Inaugural Editor-in-Chief