Stevie Pileggi unveils his ultimate double bacon cheeseburger ranking

Stevie Pileggi
Stevie presents his Shake Shack Double Bacon Cheeseburger.

Recently I embarked on a quest to find the Ultimate Double Bacon Cheeseburger. I tested three restaurants: McDonald’s, Five Guys, and Shake Shack. Read to find out what my ultimate double bacon cheeseburger is.

3rd Place
McDonald’s Double Bacon Cheeseburger
Usually when I go to McDonalds, I get a double cheeseburger and I enjoy it. I decided to add bacon this time for more flavor, and never again will I be getting a Double Bacon Cheeseburger from McDonalds. Overall I gave the burger a 7.4/10. This was a generous score considering the fact that I only got 2 strips of bacon and it was crazy undercooked. The bacon was extremely greasy which made the bottom bun soggy and floppy. The top half of the bun had all the sesame seeds falling off, which made it more messy. Only half of the cheese was melted and the burger was slipping out of the bun. The burger itself was too rare for my liking. McDonald’s is the “budget burger,” not good tasting but cheap and practical because it is a fast food chain. I was very disappointed with this performance from McDonald’s because I’ve grown up lovin’ it. (pun intended)

Stevie assesses his McDonald’s Double Bacon Cheeseburger. He did not enjoy it. (Stevie Pileggi)

2nd Place
Five Guys Double Bacon Cheeseburger
Going into the taste test, Five Guys was my personal favorite. The cheese is melted between the two patties, with the bacon strips placed in double layer rows underneath. The bacon was a little burnt, just the way I like it. Sesame seeds didn’t fall off my bun and every bite was cheesy and crunchy. The patty never fell out of the bun, making it an easy/non messy burger to eat. I had nothing to complain about when eating a Five Guys burger. With all of these attributes combined, it comes to a total score of 8.6/10. Although Five Guys is the most expensive fast food chain I tried, it never seems to fall short.

Stevie examines his Five Guys Double Bacon Cheeseburger. (Stevie Pileggi)

1st Place
Shake Shack’s Double Bacon Cheeseburger
Until I decided to write this review, I’d never had a Double Bacon Cheeseburger from Shake Shack. I have to admit, this burger swept me off my feet and brought my taste buds to heaven. This was the best tasting burger I’ve ever had, no doubt about it. I gave Shake Shack an 8.9/10 because Shake Shack is expensive, which is why I couldn’t give it a higher score. Something that I like about the Shake Shack burger is the bun, called a potato bun, which gives the buns a sponge-like texture. It was the most splendid Double Bacon Cheeseburger I’ve ever had.

View Comments (3)