Springside rain garden and wall to return

Together, environmental artist Stacy Levy and Anabella Castellanos ’24 are refurbishing Springside’s 2008 Rain Wall and Garden. Castellanos will use funding received from the ASPEN Institute to support the effort.

As a student and environmental steward, I believe that it’s up to us to make sure that spaces in our community do not become forgotten. This fall, I came into Venture Accelerator (CEL) with a new mission for Green Line. Green Line’s goal is to empower eco-conscious students on the environment and design in order to have a good impact on their community. Over the past year Ms. Queeno has been encouraging me to refurbish the Springside Rain Wall and Garden that was first built in 2008. It took very little persuasion for this project to grab my full attention. After I spent some time in the space, identifying plants and having various meetings with Ms. Queeno, Mr. Stein, and my CEL advisors I knew what had to be done! 

After gathering all of my information about the space and sorting out what the garden would need to thrive and who would be taking care of it, I finally set up some meetings. I first pitched my idea to Mr. Aloise and Mr. West. After several conversations and in-depth research, the renovation was approved! I then took the next steps of reaching out to the original Springside Rain Wall and Garden artist, Stacy Levy. Stacy was ecstatic about my drive to pursue her past work and also noticed that the work she had originally done has been covered by weeds and the space has not been maintained over the past years. Stacy was so impressed by my work she wanted to return to the school and see how she could help the rain garden (and me) move forward. 

On a rainy Tuesday in November — the day before Thanksgiving break — artist Stacy Levy returned to SCH’s campus. Levy is a renowned environmental artist and sculptor whose work has been showcased throughout the US. She also designed a space here at SCH, the Springside Rain Wall and Garden. During Stacy’s visit, she explained the original purpose of the Springside Rain Wall and Garden. This garden was once a forgotten piece of lawn that had so much potential. Back in 2008, several native plants were placed into the space, as was a rain water funneling system along the wall. This garden was meant to represent the beauty of native plants and featured artwork from Stacy as well. After viewing images I sent to her and coming in person herself, Stacy was eager to partner in revitalizing the garden. This is where we SCH students come in! 

Although I am the one leading the SCH community to utilize this neglected space to the best of our ability, I am not alone! I have had a huge helping hand from Ms. Queeno, Mr. Stein, Middle School Eco Club, and Upper School Service Council. This garden was not built by one person, but with help from the entire community and all divisions. It is my goal to bring the community together to make a once beautiful important space what it once was.  

Castellanos, author and activist, poses with environmental artist Stacy Levy.
View Comments (1)