Does food delivery compromise campus safety?

Alec Tulio
A delivery person waits outside of the cafeteria for someone to pick up their food.

“I feel like it’s kind of a gray area as to letting them in or talking to them and figuring out which student it’s for. It’s also just uncomfortable.”

— Alex Reilly

Springside Chestnut Hill Academy high school students who do not bring their own lunch order delivery from apps like Doordash, GrubHub, and Uber Eats. Drivers looking for the student who ordered the food often enter school buildings, such as the cafeteria or the exchange. Does food delivery pose a safety threat to the school community?

SCH Head of School Matt Norcini talked about his experience with delivery services, specifically where delivery drivers enter buildings: “Bags from DoorDash arrive probably every day. I’ve probably had about three of them that I’ve redirected back out of the building.” Mr. Norcini added, “Yes, it’s a problem. Thankfully, so far, it’s been a manageable problem.”

To help avoid this recurring problem, the school has brainstormed ideas to help find ways the school can ensure the security of the students.

Mr. Norcini said, “One of the things we’ve looked at is creating a Devil Drop – we are toying with the name, but it is a place out there, I think 538 Willow Grove Ave is the exact address of that little cut out in the sidewalk, where I’d prefer students to grab the food from.”

Mr. Norcini feels like a safe drop-off spot that is clearly laid out will decrease the number of food delivery drivers coming into the school buildings. Eleventh grade dean and English teacher Mr. Bell stated his opinion about the food deliveries:“I think it’s unavoidable. It’s just so easy for students to order food. So the idea of banning it would be difficult. I know some schools have, but I don’t envision that happening on a campus that is this big.” He added, “I feel safe. I think our door security is good. We have more cameras than people realize, and most entryways have a camera near them.”

While Mr. Bell feels that the safety at SCH is strongly enforced and is highly protected by our security system and the security team, not all students feel this way. Senior Alex Reilly feels she is in an awkward situation when strangers walk up to the school building. Alex, who does not order food delivery, said has no opinion on students Doordashing, but still questions her safety when strangers are near the building. “I feel like it’s kind of a gray area as to letting them in or talking to them and figuring out which student it’s for. It’s also just uncomfortable.”

Alex continued, “I don’t think that schools should end DoorDash in total, but I do think that there needs to be something so they know where to go, or else they’re just driving through campus or coming up to the door.”

View Comments (5)