Kerry O’Donnell

Kerry and Riley O’Donnell

Kerry O’Donnell, senior field hockey player at SCH runs down the field with the ball. Just before she’s about to unload a shot at the net, she sees an opening to get her twin sister, Riley O’Donnell, an even easier shot. She makes the pass that she and her sister have made hundreds of times in their lives. The ball goes from one Penn State commit to another and the Devils score the goal. The practice and hard work that the twins have put in over the years has set both of them up for the future.

As a child, Kerry O’Donnell ran around her backyard holding a field hockey stick that was given to her by an older sister. She was always joined Riley O’donnell, her twin. “We would play one vs one for hours and of course it would always get very competitive. We have always used comparing each other as a good thing because it pushes us and gives us the opportunity to help each other get better,” said Kerry.

Just like those days as a young girl, Kelly and Riley have always had each other for motivation and encouragement. “Whenever I am having an off day, Kerry is always there to motivate me to work out or go to practice and put in the effort that I need to put in,” said Riley.

Kerry grew up around the game of field hockey considering she has four older sisters who all played. She first started playing around the age of seven. “I started playing when I was seven because my sisters had always played. I then joined a rec league with my friends and that’s when I started to love playing,” said Kerry.

Ever since the day the twins were born they have been best friends. Having a built-in best friend that looks exactly like you comes with its pros. A pro is that they do everything together, from going out with friends, to working out, or driving around in the car. “Being with Kerry at all times is definitely fun. We always keep each other busy, said Riley. Another pro is that they are always thinking the same thing which helps them on and off the field. “On the field we’ve always had great chemistry because we think alike, so I always know where she’s going to be. This makes our coaches always want us on the field together, Kerry said.

Eighteen-year-old Kerry O’Donnell continues to make her mark on the field hockey field on a daily basis. While committing to Penn State for field hockey, Kerry has also achieved all-state and all-league in her junior season. The people around her recognize her competitive traits on the field. “Being on the field with Kerry is very nice because she is a very supportive teammate and always brings positive energy. She also comes up with really big goals for the team, said Taylor Foley, a junior on the field hockey team. All of these traits have helped her become the athlete and person that she is today.